Broadcast: News items

Applications to Sussex rocket above national average

The number of UK and EU students wanting to study at the University of Sussex has risen more than 75 per cent over the past two years, an analysis of current application figures shows.

More than 8,700 students have already applied to study at Sussex, compared to just under 5,000 at the same point in the cycle two years ago. 

By 28 November 2010, more than 8,700 applications had been received at Sussex, compared to 6,600 at the same point last year, and 5,000 the year before.

Consecutive annual rises of more than 30 per cent a year in applications to Sussex means growth in prospective student interest is running at more than three times the national increase.

Professor Clare Mackie, the University's Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Teaching and Learning, says: "This is an extremely positive picture for Sussex.  It shows the effect of a sustained focus on the student experience, and the consequent increases in our National Student Survey results, combined with the development of new programmes.

"It is important that we continue to work to attract students, since we are not yet half-way through the application cycle.  But these early data are a very encouraging further move in the right direction for Sussex."

There have been significant increases in applications in a range of programmes across all the University's schools of study, with applications in a number of subjects in the arts, social sciences and sciences up by over 50 per cent or more.

Nationally applications are up 12 per cent, as students continue to apply earlier in the cycle and potentially as some seek to enter under 2011 arrangements before new fees are introduced.

Rob Evans, Head of Admissions at the University of Sussex, says: "If this early trend continues then we could well see the largest number of applications Sussex has ever received, well above the strong position we had reached by 2007.  The 2010 picture suggests we have been able to build on an expanded application base in a sustained way."

Increases in home and EU applications would not mean a greater intake of students, since total undergraduate numbers continue to be capped by Government , with Sussex taking in around 2,700 undergraduates each year.  However, the boost in interest should mean a further improved quality of intake, strengthening the wider student experience and improving retention rates.

In each of the last two years, Sussex has also been able to take advantage of some flexibility from Government to admit additional student numbers during the application cycle and if available this year Sussex would be very well placed to offer such opportunities to talented students.


Notes for editors

 

University of Sussex Press office contacts: Maggie Clune, Jacqui Bealing and Daniëlle Treanor. Tel: 01273 678 888. Email: press@sussex.ac.uk

View press releases online at: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/newsandevents/


By:
Last updated: Monday, 20 December 2010

Share: