Director – Brighton and Sussex Clinical Trials Unit (CTU) Ref: 2712
School/department: Brighton and Sussex Medical School, Department of Clinical & Experimental Medicine
Hours: Full time
Salary: starting at £49,149 and rising to £56,950 per annum/Clinical Academic scale depending on professional background and seniority
Placed on: 1 December 2017
Closing date: 9 January 2018. Applications must be received by midnight of the closing date.
Expected start date: as soon as possible
Applications are invited for the post of Director of the newly created Brighton and Sussex Clinical Trials Unit. The Unit is incorporated into the Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine at Brighton and Sussex Medical School (BSMS), and is supported by the University of Sussex and Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust (BSUHT). The post is part of the continuing academic development in clinical and experimental medicine at BSMS and BSUHT.
- The post is open to applicants who are clinically or non-clinically qualified.
- For a clinical appointee, there is a minimum requirement to work 0.5 FTE in the CTU. A clinically qualified applicant who wished to continue in practice, would hold an honorary consultant contract at BSUHT or another partner organisation.
- For a clinical appointee who no longer practices, the post would be on a full time basis. Applicants should have an interest in research management, or a background in a relevant discipline i.e. medical statistics.
- The post is offered at senior lecturer level, but an appointment at a higher grade might be considered for a suitably-qualified candidate.
- The post holder’s primary base will be the CTU based at the University of Brighton site in Falmer.
- The successful applicant will have a strong background in clinical research focused on trial methodology, management and governance. Personal research experience at CI/PI level is essential, and we seek an individual with prior managerial experience within a Clinical Trials Unit.
- The Brighton and Sussex CTU was established 3 years ago, and supports a broad and developing portfolio of research projects. Provisional accreditation was granted in the recent round predicated inter alia, on the appointment of this Director post.
- CTU accreditation is a major element in the developing research strategy of the School, reflecting our interest in basic and applied sciences and clinical trials.
- The School and BSUHT have invested heavily in the infrastructure required which includes newly-built laboratory accommodation, a fully-functional and well-staffed Clinical Research Facility, modern imaging sciences centre, the CTU, as well as SHORE-C, an international centre in psycho-oncology.
- The appointee will be expected to expand and develop the CTU with a view to achieving full registration and a nationally-recognised profile in trials-based research. S/he will be expected to work with our partner Universities as well as Trusts within the region, particularly BSUHT and Sussex Partnership Trust (SPT), and to develop close working relationships with the Local Clinical Research Network (LCRN), Research Design Service (RDS), and regional Academic Health Science Network.
For informal enquiries about this post please contact Prof Kevin Davies (medicineAnatomyDA@bsms.ac.uk) or Prof Malcolm Reed, BSMS Dean (email@example.com) at Brighton and Sussex Medical School by email or via telephone (01273 877890), or Ms Nicola Perry, CTU Operational Manager (N.firstname.lastname@example.org) at the CTU.
How to apply
You must fill in all sections, sign the front page declaration, and then email and send your application documents to:
- bsms@email@example.com. Use the format post reference number / post title / your name in the subject line.
- Human Resources Division, Sussex House, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9RH.
If you apply for more than one job at Sussex, send a separate email and application form for each vacancy.
You should attach your application form, personal details and equal opportunities form and all other documents to the email (don't use a web-based upload/weblink service).