, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh.
Adjunct Associate Professor
, Faculty of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia.
Visiting Senior Research Fellow
, School of Engineering and Informatics, University of Sussex.
- External representations (diagrams, graphical displays)
- Clinical reasoning, diagnostic reasoning
- A.I. in education/technology-enhanced learning
- Educational data mining, learning analytics
Educational data mining, learning analytics
- I am an international affiliate of
the Openproof logic education software project at
Stanford. I am collaborating with
Dr Dave Barker-Plummer (Stanford)
and Prof Robert Dale (Macquarie) on a data mining project
utilising a very large dataset of students' logic exercise submissions
to an online grading system.
We have published at CogSci 2008,2010,2011; Diagrams 2008,2010 and Educational Data Mining 2009,2011,2012 - see publications.
I was awarded a joint US Social Science Research Council/UK ESRC
Visiting Americas Fellowship in connection with this work.
External representations (e.g. diagrams, graphical displays)
- Recent publications available here
- Psychological methods for system evaluation (Human-Centred Computer Systems MSc)
- Solving Real-World Problems (Cognitive Science Interdisciplinary Program)
- Knowledge Engineering (CSAI)
- Research Methods in CSAI (DPhil, MRes)
- Interactive Learning Environments (u/g, MSc, DPhil)
- Multimedia Systems (MSc)
Recent DPhil/PhD supervision
- Cognitive Science Society
- International AI in Education Society
- International Educational Data Mining Society (Charter Member)
Previous posts, past projects...
- Dec 1999 - Sep 2010 Reader in Computer Science and A.I., School of Informatics, University of Sussex
- From 1991 to 1998 I was a member of the Graphics and Language Working Group at
HCRC, University of Edinburgh.